Angkitja Jukurrpa Wall Calendar 2019
Due August: Wall calendar 30 x 30cm (hanging to 30 x 60cm). The always popular indigenous art calendar, now in its third year re-branded as Angkitja (pronounced Nng-ket-cha) and it features -
- 12 high quality glossy full-colour reproductions celebrating the country and culture of Central Australia
- National public holidays for Australia, United Kingdom, France, Germany and USA
- Annual seasons according to the Central Arrernte people of Mparntwe (Alice Springs)
- Enhanced contact page for the featured art centres
- Map locating the art centres overlaid with language areas of Central Australia
For many years IAD Press have very successfully used the imprint 'Jukurrpa Books' - Jukurrpa is a Warlpiri word meaning 'Dreaming', Story' or 'Law'. The Institute for Aboriginal Development (IAD) is committed to the promotion of cultural authority and recognition, and as IAD and IAD Press are situated on the banks of the Todd River in the heart of Arrernte country, our Board and our Elders believe that appropriate recognition and deference be given to the people on whose land IAD stands on by changing the imprint from 'Jukurrpa' to 'Angkitja Books' - Angkitja is the Eastern, Central and Western Arrernte word for "keeping information safe for the future". In this age when Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages and culture are so much under threat, it is appropriate to name the publishing label after a word that means keeping safe - keeping culture safe, keeping language safe.