Songbird Whistle Necklace - Sacred Kingfisher
At Paper Parrot we love all things that celebrate Australian bird life and these distinctive handcrafted Sacred Kingfisher earrings certainly do that!
- Each bird is approx 35mm from tail to beak
- Adjustable cord
- Each bird features a single note whistle
- Presented in a fabric pouch with story card
- Each bird is individually handcrafted from locally sourced clay and then intricately hand painted.
- Because of the completely hand-made nature of these items there will always be some variation between products, adding to their charm.
- Ethically produced by a group of artisans based in Chiang Rai, Thailand.
The distinctive turquoise backed Sacred Kingfisher is common and familiar throughout the coastal regions of mainland Australia, although less common in Tasmania. The species is also found on islands from Australasia to Indonesia and New Zealand. In New Zealand the species is also known by its Māori name kōtare. It is called “sacred” for it was said to be a holy bird for Polynesians, who believed it to have control over the waves.
Songbird is a crafts-based social enterprise established to raise awareness and support the conservation of Australia's threatened bird species and their native habitats, whilst creating sustainable and ethical job opportunities for Songbird's artisan makers.
Please Note - whistle necklaces are not intended for use as a toy and are not suitable for children under 4 years.